Income from legacies is a vital part of any charity’s funding stream. But as you’ll know if you have any experience of dealing with legacies, they can be fraught with difficulties. Any number of problems can arise during the estate administration process, all of which can delay your benefactor’s generosity starting to fund your work.
We have a dedicated charities legacy team who can help you manage the complications that can arise from a legacy being made to your organisation. They provide support, advice and training in all probate matters and protection of your legacy income including:
- Challenges to the validity of a will
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- Ex gratia payment requests
- Problematic executors
- Addressing avoidable losses to an estate (e.g. excessive fees)
- Disputes over the interpretation of wills
- Assisting you with the administration of estates (including liaising with agents and third parties on your behalf)
- Dealing with tax issues and liaising with HMRC
- Dealing with foreign estate assets
To reflect our commitment to working collaboratively with charities and helping you fulfil your mission effectively, we are a corporate partner of the Institute of Legacy Management (ILM), Remember a Charity and the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS).
Latest News & Blogs
Access to the single market may not have direct relevance to charities but that does not mean that they are immune from the effects of Brexit. Hard evidence is lacking – as it was in much of the referendum debate – but some themes are emerging: