Catharine Geddes - PartnerCatharine is a very experienced employment lawyer and HR advisor. She advises clients on a wide range of employment law, HR matters and licensing queries providing sound and practical support as needed.
Catharine is commercially focussed and helps to position clients so they achieve the best results for their organisation. She adopts a proactive approach as she guides her clients on daily legal and HR matters – from positive initiatives such as recognition, reward and retention schemes to more formal issues usually arising from disciplinary and grievances.
As a business owner, team leader, manager and former Head of HR, Catharine brings hands-on experience and can deal with disciplinaries, redundancies and training within our clients’ businesses. She also acts for clients in the Employment Tribunal.
Catharine also has experience in advising businesses and individuals on a range of licensing matters, including premises licence applications and variations for a number of hotels and restaurants, as well as personal licences and temporary event licences.
Catharine is praised highly for her in-depth knowledge, timely and straight forward responses.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for a charity in relation to a group discrimination and unfair dismissal claim
- Advising a design company about restructuring procedures
- Acting for a specialist care centre in relation to a race discrimination claim involving a contractor and patient where the care centre was found not liable for the patient’s actions
- Successfully defending a number of discrimination, unfair dismissal and breach of contract claims brought by a group of ex-employees of a care provider, including successfully obtaining costs orders against some of the claimants
- Successfully defending a claim of unfair and wrongful dismissal brought by a senior ex-employee with over 20 years’ service
- Representing a successful claimant in claims of unfair dismissal and unlawful detriments after making protected disclosures
- Successfully representing a claimant in claims of unfair and wrongful dismissal following allegations of sexual harassment made against the employee
- Advising an international Crown corporation on redundancies during a closure of its UK office
Your assistance with the various situations has always been swift, accurate and well judged. A professional’s balanced assessment to achieve the optimum outcome is so important and you have always provided exactly what we needed.”
That is the perfect response – timely, easy to understand, answers all my queries and with clear reasoning… It backs up my reasoning for saying how brilliant it is having you and the Lester Aldridge team by my side as support.”
Catharine has responded at very short notice (usually by return) to every enquiry without regard to the time of day or night. She’s been an absolute star; I really can’t praise her highly enough.”