Jane Porter - Partner
Head of FamilyJane is regularly instructed by high net worth clients with complicated issues and where specialist knowledge is required to unravel trusts, understand the importance of competing jurisdictions and comprehend and forensically dismantle complex family companies and pension funds. She also advises on pre-nuptial agreements, cohabitation claims and disputes relating to children.
Jane is a trained family mediator and a practising collaborative lawyer.
- Member of Resolution
- Trained and experienced mediator
- Trained and experienced collaborative lawyer
- Founder and member of Phoenix Mediation
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners UK 2017 (Band 1) as a Leading Individual for Family / Matrimonial (Southampton & Surrounds)
- Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2016
- Ranked as a Prominent Figure in Citywealth Leaders List 2016 for Family & Matrimonial. She is also listed within Power Women.
- Instructed in a high net worth matrimonial dispute which involved the valuation of several family businesses across the South. The businesses were held in a complex and divergent corporate and partnership structures involving third parties. A settlement was negotiated at the door of the Court whereby the client achieved a favourable result which would have been unlikely on a fully contested basis.
- Acted for a client in achieving a 74% share of the total matrimonial assets. There was a real danger on the face of the facts the agreement would be construed as unfair by the court, however some skilful drafting of the consent agreement and accompanying documents resulted in the order being made by the court.
- Acted for a non domiciled client with assets of the marriage spread across Europe. There were difficult issues arising out of non-disclosure and the complexity of the parties’ affairs. A fair and reasonable result was achieved with the client retaining a significant proportion of income and the foreign property.
- Acted for a client in respect of a protracted residence and contact dispute with multiple applications to the court and claims against the client by a vexatious litigant. Jane was successful in defending these claims and ultimately in obtaining a residence order in favour of her client.
Just a quick thank you for your constant support, help and advice over the last two years and for your part in an excellent result at court last week. It was once suggested to me that, during difficult times, every day you should try to think of three things in your life for which you are grateful. I can honestly say that you have featured on my list more than anyone or anything else! The hearing was a totally draining experience but I feel it was all very worthwhile in the end, both financially and in terms of moral victory.”
Thank you so much for all your time, discernment, compassion but above all professional approach to our mediation sessions… You were able to read us both, how we worked, how we understood the information and how we processed that. You made a difficult, emotional and daunting situation more bearable. You gave me time to think, confidence to take my time to take things on board. But above all you gave me space and made me feel secure in my own voice, confidence and my future. For that I thank you so much.”
It only remains to thank you and the whole team at Lester Aldridge for holding my hand and steering me through the unexpected twists and turns of this saga. Your input, calm heads, empathy and grasp of the vast detail were very helpful, supportive and impressive for what has undoubtedly been an emotional journey for me. While fairness and justice may not go hand in hand, I can at least say that I feel liberated at last and am currently looking for a new flat to get on with my life.”
“Jane Porter is “full of energy, very practical and gives concise advice,” according to sources. She advises on trusts issues, family businesses and children law matters. Sources highlight her as “a compassionate, cautious, sensible and protective solicitor who is very experienced with vulnerable clients.”
(Ranked Band 1 for Family/Matrimonial)