Insurance and Claims
Marine insurance is essential to ensure you’re legally protected. However, both the process of claiming and resolving disputes when a claim is being pursued against you, can be highly complex and challenging, as well as time consuming.
We understand the frustrations that come with insurance claims, which is why our specialist lawyers can help and advise on any international dispute you may be involved in.
We can help you with the following:
- Insurance coverage and policy advice: advice on the wording of insurance policies and coverage issues
- Disputes: advice in relation to disputes (including cross border) arising under insurance policies, including managing claims in other jurisdictions through a comprehensive network of foreign correspondent lawyers
- Defended claims: advice in relation to and assistance with defending claims being pursued against insured party in respect of a liability which is covered by insurance policy
- Subrogated recoveries: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims against third parties on behalf of insurers to recover losses and expenses suffered as a result of the third party’s negligence
- Uninsured loss recovery: advice and assistance with pursuing claims against third parties responsible for uninsured losses, including any policy excess
- Referrals to The Ombudsman: advice in relation to matters referred to the Ombudsman
- Hull and machinery damage claims: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims against third parties responsible for damage to the vessel
- Breach of contract claims: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims for losses suffered as a result of a breach of contract, including charter agreements, sale or purchase agreements, repair or refit contracts
- Negligence claims: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims for losses suffered as a result of negligence, including claims against surveyors or designers, or against third parties in respect of collision damage (see Marine Casualties)
Whether you’d like help with your insurance policy, advice on a huge range of claims or assistance with a dispute, we can provide the appropriate international legal advice from our global network of lawyers through our membership of the MSI.
Latest News & Blogs
A recent London arbitration decision has looked at how a receiver’s claim for the diminution in the value of a cargo, which arose solely because of the delay by a ship caused by the owners of the vessel, should be interpreted against the backdrop of the Inter-Club Agreement (ICA) wording.
One area where there may need to be a change of tactics and approach in the event of a no deal Brexit, relates to the enforceability of UK court judgements in countries which are part of the EU.