Insurance and Claims
Marine insurance is essential to ensure you’re legally protected. However, both the process of claiming and resolving disputes when a claim is being pursued against you, can be highly complex and challenging, as well as time consuming.
We understand the frustrations that come with insurance claims, which is why our specialist lawyers can help and advise on any international dispute you may be involved in.
We can help you with the following:
- Insurance coverage and policy advice: advice on the wording of insurance policies and coverage issues
- Disputes: advice in relation to disputes (including cross border) arising under insurance policies, including managing claims in other jurisdictions through a comprehensive network of foreign correspondent lawyers
- Defended claims: advice in relation to and assistance with defending claims being pursued against insured party in respect of a liability which is covered by insurance policy
- Subrogated recoveries: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims against third parties on behalf of insurers to recover losses and expenses suffered as a result of the third party’s negligence
- Uninsured loss recovery: advice and assistance with pursuing claims against third parties responsible for uninsured losses, including any policy excess
- Referrals to The Ombudsman: advice in relation to matters referred to the Ombudsman
- Hull and machinery damage claims: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims against third parties responsible for damage to the vessel
- Breach of contract claims: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims for losses suffered as a result of a breach of contract, including charter agreements, sale or purchase agreements, repair or refit contracts
- Negligence claims: advice in relation to and assistance with pursuing claims for losses suffered as a result of negligence, including claims against surveyors or designers, or against third parties in respect of collision damage (see Marine Casualties)
Whether you’d like help with your insurance policy, advice on a huge range of claims or assistance with a dispute, we can provide the appropriate international legal advice from our global network of lawyers through our membership of the MSI.
Latest News & Blogs
In a recent case, the English Court was asked to consider the nature of the obligations on the owners of the vessel on an approach voyage, when the charterparty did not include any ETA dates for the ship for the delivery port, but did include a cancelling date.
A legal dispute concerning a cargo of Columbian green coffee beans, which were carried in 20 unventilated containers to Germany, has made its way up to the Court of Appeal.