Whether you are a charity, social enterprise or voluntary organisation, club or association, Geoff can advise you on all aspects of charity and company law. Geoff has a particular specialism in healthcare charities and care homes.
Geoff can support you right from the outset, setting up your organisation to ensure it has the optimised legal structure alongside the right governing document. Geoff can arrange registration with the Charity Commission and your ongoing regulatory requirements such as the sale or mortgaging of land; trustee duties and liabilities; fundraising; restructuring, mergers and collaborative working or winding up.
Geoff trained and worked as a company and commercial solicitor before joining the Charity Commission as an in-house lawyer in 2001. He became the head of the Legal Framework Function in the Taunton office of the Commission until 2005 when he joined our team.
Geoff Trobridge is a qualified data protection practitioner and can assist businesses with the new data protection regulations and help avoid the sanctions imposed by the increased enforcement powers.
Recent examples of work or case studies:
- The outsourcing of leisure facilities by a local authority to a charity.
- The conversion of an industrial and provident society to a company limited by guarantee and its registration with the Charity Commission.
- Advice on the powers of a charity to enter into interest rate swap agreements.
- The merger of two national governing bodies of a sport.
- Advice upon the closure of an independent school and subsequently the transfer of its’ management to a new charity.
- The re-organisation and amalgamation of three almshouse charities.