Rachel has considerable experience of a wide range of property dispute matters, including a variety of commercial and residential lease disputes such as contested lease renewals, break notices, breach of covenant, forfeiture, dilapidations and service charge disputes. Rachel also advises on land issues such as boundaries, restrictive covenants, rights of way and rights of light, acting for both companies and private individuals.
Recent examples of work or case studies:
- Successfully representing an “employer” in a construction adjudication disputing a claim for extensions of time;
- Advising a large property developer on options available regarding ongoing contracts in light of changing needs arising from COVID-19 including the potential to withdraw or force the other party to complete;
- Objecting to a tenant’s claim for a new lease on the basis the client wished to redevelop the site and concluding matters shortly before a contested trial;
- Advise on recovery of rent from a large PLC who raises novel arguments to avoid payment of rent during the lockdown period;
- Advise a company on removal of an occupier from a property when there is no written agreement in place;
- Acting for a couple who face a claim for breach of a deed of pre-emption and potential professional negligence claim arising from the advice received;
- Assisting a telecommunications provider in undertaking works at site and settling disputes that arise, pursuant to the contract and with reference to the Code;
- Taking action to enforce covenants on long leasehold owners who act in breach of the terms of their lease for a large landlord;
- Work with a local house builder to resolve disputes arising on sites and with sub-contractors and suppliers.