Russell Kelly - Partner
Head of Marine
Russell provides advice to commercial shipping clients as well as to those in the leisure marine and superyacht sectors. He has a wealth of experience across a broad range of topics which include vessel sale and purchase, marine finance and new build and refit contracts. He also has significant expertise in dealing with criminal prosecutions and investigations by the relevant Authorities in the marine sphere.
Russell has been a Supporting member of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA) for many years and is the principal contact for the team’s membership of the British Maritime Law Association, the British Marine Federation and the International Yacht Lawyers Network. Russell was formerly a partner in a specialist shipping law firm in London and is a regular speaker at various industry conferences and seminars worldwide.
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners UK 2018 for Shipping (UK-wide)
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners HNW 2018 for Yachts & Superyachts (Global-wide)
- Recommended in The Legal 500 UK 2017
Work of note undertaken by Russell includes:
- The successful defence of two young RIB drivers who were prosecuted in Cardiff Crown Court following a collision in the dark when carrying passengers;
- Advising a foreign state’s navy in a multimillion pound dispute with the builders or 3 offshore patrol vessels;
- representing the owner of a large yacht in a dispute with his insurance brokers and underwriters following a grounding incident;
- Advising a bank in connection with the refinancing of a fleet of coastal general cargo vessels; and
- Assisting the purchasers of a boatbuilding business with the novation of on-going contracts and the drafting of terms and conditions for new business.
Principal clients include marine finance companies, Harbour Authorities and other Regulatory bodies, yacht builders, brokers and dealers and vessel owners and operators.
- British Marine Federation – Russell is a member of the Legal Services Committee of the BMF which is responsible for overseeing the regular updating of the standard document precedents widely used throughout the industry. He is also the current Chairman of the BMF’s Insurance, Financial and Legal Services Association.
He has several advantages – he listens and is available and then gets results without assuming we all work to the average legal timeframe. He does a great job.””
Russell Kelly has many years of experience as a shipping lawyer, handling commercial shipping work, as well as yachts. He handles the sale and purchase, construction, refitting and financing of yachts for a variety of clients, including owners, builders and brokers. Kelly handles disputes. He is described as a “really sensible bloke” and is praised for his knowledge of the industry.”