Laura Guntrip - Partner
Head of HealthcareLaura advises providers of adult care homes, nursing homes, supported living facilities, independent hospitals, children’s homes and schools on a range of issues.
Her work includes local authority or CCG contractual disputes, disputes with residents, Court of Protection cases, safeguarding investigations, inquests and police investigations, including representing clients in PACE interviews at the police station or elsewhere. She also defends regulatory enforcement action by CQC, acts for clients in appeals to the Tribunal and in relation to professional misconduct hearings or disputing their inclusion on the barred lists. She also has experience of public law judicial review proceedings within the care sector.
Her work also includes representing clients in defending action by other regulatory bodies, such as the Health and Safety Executive.
Laura frequently undertakes regulatory due diligence for purchasers, vendors or funders, dealing with acquisitions, sales or refinancing of all types of care facilities, including care homes, day schools, children’s homes, independent special schools, fostering agencies, acute medical units and fertility clinics.
Recent work includes:
- Provided advice and representation to two nurses who owned/managed care homes who were being investigated by the police on suspicion of having committed offences of neglect or ill treatment
- Acted for a client in an appeal to the Tribunal in respect of the decision to include him on the barred list
- Acted for a client in defending action by CQC to cancel the registration of the client’s care home, reaching a settlement with CQC to allow the home to remain open
- Carried out regulatory due diligence in respect of the purchase of the largest provider of adult residential care services in the UK and in respect of the sale of the second largest provider.
- National Care Association
- Registered Nursing Homes Association
- Graham Care
- Colten Care
- HC-One Limited
“Engaging Lester Aldridge and working with Laura Guntrip and her team has been a pleasure and a blessing.
One of our Homes was experiencing extreme difficulty with our regulators and with Laura’s expertise, counsel and representation we were able to overcome a task that at times seemed to be a losing battle.
The service we have received from Laura and her team has always been first class. We have been able to depend on them like an extension of our own team. Their approach, knowledge and expertise have ensured all our matters have been handled efficiently. We are now a stronger organisation and if the need ever was to arise again, we would no doubt be contacting Lester Aldridge.
Thank you once again, Laura. We know we can’t thank you enough.”
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) recently under the Panorama spotlight following inspection shortfallings despite whistleblowing concerns.