Linda acts for clients all over the world and has an excellent understanding of trade issues which arise out of the carriage of goods by ship, air and land. It is common to find lawyers specialised in one of these fields but rarer to find a lawyer who fully appreciates the entire trade chain. She offers a pragmatic and incisive view to try and get issues and disputes resolved as cost-effectively as possible.
Recent examples of work or case studies
- Shipping/LNG – Assisting in a matter where a client needed to assess whether they could terminate a charterparty as a result of problems with a ship gassing up.
- Logistics/liens – Assisting a client with a dispute over a lien applied over a trailer and goods on board following the collapse of a haulage company.
- Warranties/Hydrogen – Assisting a client with problems in the design of a ship fuelled by hydrogen, which included breach of warranty allegation.
- Accidents- Assisting in the settlement of a claim between a seaman and a ferry company following an accident on a slipway.
- Charterparty dispute- Assisting parties with issues surrounding deductions from hire.
- Logistics/Purchase orders- Assisting in a dispute between the United Nations and a freight forwarder involving several carriages of cargo to the UN peacekeeping missions.
- Towage – Assisting with an arbitration surrounding the Towcon form and the carriage of cargo using a semi-submersible vessel,
- Salvage – dealing most recently with a common law salvage claim in the salvage arbitration branch Lloyds -in relation to the recovery of cargo.
- Jurisdiction – Assisting a client to challenge the jurisdiction of the English High Court
- Arbitration – assisting the client with the successful recovery of damages following the termination of a charterparty.
- Off-Specification bunkers – assisting a client to deal with issues surrounding the supply of off-specification bunkers.
- Clandestines – assisting a client to appeal the imposition of fines following the discovery of clandestines on a truck entering the UK.
- Gafta arbitration – assisting a client to recover their losses under a sale contract from a sell back.
Read Linda’s latest interview in The Law Society Gazette p19 (September 2023)